While an overwhelming number of people who use coconut oil regularly reported that it had not only cleared up skin acne but also kept their skin clear and fresh, there have been quite a few who reviewed that they experienced sudden acne breakouts with use. Some others have reported that while their initial experience has been skin breakout, prolonged use of coconut oil permanently cured of their acne. Since every skin is unique, you may like to experiment it first on a ‘not so visible spot’ on your skin or by diluting it using castor oil to check whether this works for you or not.
As you will be applying this to the skin, always go for coconut oil that is chemical–free, pure and processed. Pick brands that are cold–pressed, organic and virgin.
Like to give it a test? Simply follow the instruction below to treat acne with coconut oil:
1. Facial steaming can keep your skin pores clean. First, a towel should be draped over your shoulders and head (to create something like a humidity tent). Then, slightly lean over a bowl of simmering hot water for a while.
2. Apply a teaspoon of coconut oil onto your skin and rub gently in a circular motion. Alternately, you can also include anti–acne essential oil like clary sage, tea tree, juniper berry or lavender. Give deep massage onto your nose, cheeks, chin, forehead and any other affected area.
3. Take a facecloth that is soaked in hot water, wring out the wet towel, as required, and apply it over the face for 1–2 minutes.
4. The facecloth will absorb any excess oil. If your skin is still oily, wash your face off with lukewarm water and wash using the facial cleanser or mild soap. Pat dry using a fresh, clean towel.
5. Remember that coconut oil you go for is unrefined, cold–pressed virgin coconut oil that has been organically sourced.